What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a cosmetic surgery procedure which can improve the appearance of aging facial skin and sun damage. This procedure can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, crow’s feet, age spots, sun damage and acne scars, producing a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance. Most patients require more than one session.
Individuals who are looking to improve the appearance of age- or sun-damaged skin may be good candidates for microdermabrasion. As with all types of cosmetic surgery, good health and realistic expectations are important. Patients should understand that the goal of microdermabrasion is not to produce perfect skin but rather to improve the appearance of the skin as much as possible. During your consultation, our esthetician will consider such factors as skin type and medical history in order to determine if microdermabrasion is right for you.
Is typically administered in the office setting and can take thirty minutes to an hour to complete. During the procedure, a device is passed over the skin which emits tiny crystals that gently abrade the skin and remove the dead outer layer. There is minimal recovery or downtime associated with microdermabrasion. Side effects are few, though the skin may appear slightly red for a few hours after treatment and feel flushed for about a day. Most patients are able to immediately return to work and other normal activities after microdermabrasion, though the skin will need to be protected from the sun for a period of time.
Call today to schedule your consultation
Is a cosmetic surgery procedure which gently resurfaces the facial skin to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, age spots, crow’s feet, acne scars, and sun damage. The result is more youthful and rejuvenated look.
If you are looking to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, crow’s feet, sun damage, age spots and/or acne scars and are physically healthy and realistic in your expectations, then microdermabrasion may be right for you. It’s important that patients understand that perfect skin is not realistic and that, instead, the procedure will improve the skin as much as possible. Dr. Donath is happy to meet with you for a consultation to help you determine if microdermabrasion can best meet your needs.
During the consultation, Dr. Donath will meet with you to examine your facial skin, discuss your goals, and take a thorough medical history. He will explain the technique, the risks, and the costs and address any questions or concerns that you may have.
Is typically performed in the office setting.
A device is passed over the treatment area. The device emits tiny crystals which remove the dead outer layer of skin through gentle abrasion.
Depending on the area being treated may take thirty minutes to an hour to perform. Multiple sessions are typically needed.
There is usually very little pain or discomfort associated with the microderm process.
There is little downtime or recovery from microdermabrasion. Some side effects may include a slight redness to the skin and a flushed feeling, both of which fade quickly. Patients will need to avoid sun exposure for a period of time after treatment.
Work and most other normal activities can usually be resumed right after the microderm treatment.
Why choose Dr. Donath
- Graduated summa cum laude from Ohio University where he was a scholarship recipient and was inducted into the prestigious Phi Beta Kappa national honor society.
- He then completed medical school at the University of Cincinnati, widely recognized as one of the top medical centers in the country, where he was President of the school’s American Medical Student Association.
- Completing a rigorous five-year residency training program in all aspects of Head and Neck Surgery at St. Louis University.
- He additionally spent time studying at Harvard Medical School with the Director of Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, Dr. Mack Cheney.
- Has been nominated as a Top Doctor in Cincinnati Magazine and by Castle Connolly for many consecutive years.
- Is a national trainer of other physicians for both Galderma and Allergan, and is a frequent guest on multiple media outlets to present the public with the most recent facial aesthetic techniques.